Nikon's D700 a balanced camera for image quality, value, pro handling and MP.

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641
Like?
Re: Used D600 for $1200 seems more balanced
In reply to yray, 7 months ago

yray wrote:

Horshack wrote:

• 2 stops higher dynamic range at base ISO, 1 stop higher dynamic range at High ISO, close to 1 stop better High ISO noise in midtones
  • No High ISO blooming issue
  • No low ISO banding
  • 24MP when needed, modest processing overhead when not
  • Despite cheaper feeling build, haven't read many reports of D600's failing
  • Better Live View
  • Better Video
  • Better LCD
  • Better Auto ISO
  • Better low-light AF
  • Lighter
  • Quieter shutter
  • Lifetime shutter replacement courtesy of Nikon

You forgot to mention that D600 got a second tier AF, and a third tier ergonomics and build quality (not even starting with fps and buffer for those who need it). If I forgot about the QC and oil on the sensor, I still could only think of a D600 as a very mediocre camera, -- not from the point of view of IQ, -- but from just about any other point of view. The D600 has a good sensor (when clean), but that's about it, as far as I'm concerned. Call me a snob or what you will, but when I hold D700 in my hands I feel that it exudes quality from every waterproof pore of its rugged metal body. For me -- it is a totally different experience, and I have zero interest in a D600/610. Case in point, I happen to have a D300 and a D7000. The D7000 arguably has a better sensor (though color sucks big time IMO), but it spends most of its time in a drawer, while the ancient D300 is my DX camera of choice. I would argue that the D7000 stands to the D300 in roughly the same relation as D600 to D700 -- an updated sensor, and cheaper in look, feel, and every other way.

Well put

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow