ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,841Gear list
Like?
X-E2 First Impressions -- What President Kennedy might have said
4 months ago

Forgive my rant.  I am venting a bit,

My long awaited Fuji X-E2 finally arrived today -- in apparent good shape with everything intact.  I have been shooting for over 35 years with ILC cameras and have been digital since 2001.  I can pretty much pick up any Canon, Nikon or Panasonic camera and shoot it right off the rail.  Not so with the Fuji X-E2 which is reminiscent of President John F. Kennedy's description of Washington, D.C. as a mixture of northern charm and southern efficiency.  Image quality seems good but OMG, how much of a struggle does it have to be to shoot a picture in anything but automatic mode?   I think the autofocusing speed is acceptable for all sports but only the center area seems to be active.  Getting to so many things in the menu structure is a chore.  No cloudy white balance option.  No PASM dial or functional equivalent.  And the design -- that's where the JFK quote comes in.  Retro dials for shutter speed and exposure compensation, aperture selection on the lens (but displayed on the screen or EVF only) but everything else scattered about.  Really in need of an interface overhaul and while retro may be charming it isn't in today's world that efficient.  It is not a very intuitive camera and that's disappointing at first blush because it seems to have so much promise.  So much is buried in layers of obtuse menus and the owner's manual isn't the most (or least) user friendly.

The build quality of the camera and lenses seems very substantial, perhaps too much so in terms of size and weight.  It's less than a DSLR but more than the micro 4/3 lot and the Nikon 1 series.  I have tons of good Canon gear and three Nikon 1 bodies.  I was hoping that the X-E2 would be a good bridge between the two, hoping someday Nikon's 1 series will have image quality to match the superb autofocusing and metering and a usable flash.  Eventually I will figure this thing out but a veteran photographer should find a new camera intuitive and exciting, not frustrating.  I'm sure I will be posting a lot of questions and maybe some images once I figure this thing out enough.

Rant is over for the moment and I apologize for it but, as the kids these days would say, WTF?  (What the Fuji? )  I think the elephant in the room may be Sony.  If Sony's new MILC line offers efficiency, qualify and performance in a smaller, lighter, less-expensive package, will gain market share and Fuji will have to decide if it wants to continue to attempt to be cute or should it be competitive.  MILC, IMHO, is about where DSLR was in 2006 and so it's a state of flux now.

Any ideas or links to good information on getting used to the X-E2 would be appreciated.  Quite a learning curve.  Thanks!

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DickNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow