Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skyline97
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Back Focusing
4 months ago

I finally decided to get the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens for my D5300. I noticed none of my shots were in focus at first so I went to check its focusing alignment. I found that it was back focusing so much that my subject won't be in focus until I stopped it down to f11 to increase the DOF. I exchanged it for another one and the second lens also back focuses, although slightly to a lesser degree. I only have to stop the second one down to f8 for my subject to be in focus. It back focuses by about 1/4-1/2 in with the subject a foot away and by several inches at ten feet.

Is it possible that I got two bad lenses or is it my D5300? The Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II kit lens focuses fine even wide open at both 18mm and 55mm. Does the D5300 not match up well with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX lens? I've heard some people say their D5200 has trouble focusing consistently with it, although I doubt it because my D5300 is consistently back focusing with it. I can post some pictures of different f-stops from 1.8 to 11 if that would help.

Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow