Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joaquin_peme
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
How good is 1Ds MkIII autofocus system?
4 months ago

I currently have a 5DmkII. I love the files I get from this body, but I have never been very confident about trusting its AF system. It has always been a hit and miss. Don't get me wrong..., perhaps my out-of-focus rate is due to poor technique on my behalf.

My questions is how much easier my life would be with a 1Ds MkIII regarding AF performance.

I know this body is a bit dated, but it's a heck of a camera... , isn't it? A guy is selling his at a very good price...., and it might be a nice chance to get very nice body indeed.

Liveview on my 5DmkII is far better..... and I usually use a Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZE for my landscape pictures... The 1Ds MKkIII would be a step backwards here.... However, when not doing landscapes, I basically shoot with AF lenses, and honestly, I am bit tired of having to shoot extra frames to cover my back....

I'm considering a 5DMkIII as well, which technically is a better performer in comparison with the 1Ds MkIII

But .... ( there is always a but)

I once had a 1D MkIII, which I sold long ago ( FF is more convenient for landscape pictures) but the feel of that 1D-series body in my hand is hard to forget..... and  the 5D MkIII won't give that.

I guess the answer is simple: wait until the 1Dx sells at a more reasonable price. It's not a matter of being able to afford a 1Dx, it's a matter of making sensible decisions...

Please, spare your wise thoughts...

Joaquin_peme's gear list:Joaquin_peme's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow