I'm going to buy every camera, play with them for a bit, and return all of them!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
I'm going to buy every camera, play with them for a bit, and return all of them!
6 months ago

Obviously I'm not, but apparently a lot of people do, under the thin pretense of "evaluating a camera".

Therefore I'm beginning to think that the combination of:

1) A reasonable re-stocking fee proportional to an open-box discount (~15%?)...

2) The presence of open-box offerings passing the savings of the value loss onto consumers willing to deal with open-box products, and...

3) A vow to designate returns as open-box regardless of the returners' claims.  (Yes, I realize that this creates the perverse incentive to open the box regardless.  The better solution is to have retailer apply a good seal that evidences being broken... but that takes some investment.)

...Is a desirable thing to look for in a camera retailer.

This is so that these "camera evaluator" returns don't have to be absorbed by the retailer to be passed on as higher prices for everyone, or worse... unscrupulous retailers aren't forced to pass open-box cameras onto unwitting consumers.

What do you all think?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow