Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
Leaving for Puerto Rico and...
4 months ago

have that age old question that pops up here: which lenses to take.

I never thought I'd ask but feeling a little perplexed.

The usage will be for both landscape pictures and also includes family and closer shots.

I'm a little concerned about losing anything to thieves so the most I'm taking is two lenses.  Also a short island hop plane ride has strict limitations on weight.

70-200mm f2.8  Ruled out though I would love to take it to take shots of some of the many cats I hear are all over the place down there.  But too heavy and risky I think.

50mm f1.8 - considering taking only this all around lens.  Very light and good for low light.  Would miss wider angle though.

85mm 1.8 - just not going to take this one with my other mix of lens choices.

24-70mm 2.8 -  Probably my leading candidate due to its versatility and wide angle.  Heavy but that's okay.  Would miss the extra stop I'd have with the prime.

16-35mm f4 -  this is where I'm really on the fence.  I can't take this and 24-70mm, but I'm thinking about taking this and the 50, or maybe this and the 85mm.  That way I'd have the wide wide angle for landscapes and the prime to knock around with and good for low light as well.  I don't have much experience/shooting time with the 16-35 lens so I'd basically be going down there green with it.  Also it's f4 and I'm not taking a tripod.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

regards, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow