Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: good point about "quality" but...
In reply to antoineb, 6 months ago

antoineb wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

antoineb wrote:

Now I read your post, and it surprises me that Flickr is still in existence! Apparently it still has a lot of users, even if it is roughly 4-5x smaller than FB and the users likely do much less on it. But where it hurts is when Flickr has about 8bn photos, compared to over 250bn ie over 31x more on FB.

Of those 250 billion photos posted on facebook, the overwhelming majority are photos of teenagers drinking and partying, or photos of what hipsters ate for lunch.

Sometimes quality can trump quantity.

Which is why I am so disappointed that Flickr is trying to be more "facebook-like."

Hey Marty,

couldn't help laughing when reading about your "teenagers drinking and partying" on FB

This being said more and more teenagers are going elsewhere because too many parents and even older people are on FB nowadays.

The other thing is....I don't have any children on my facebook feed.  If you are an adult and you have kids on your feed, something is wrong with you...not facebook

Frankly from why I see on my FB contacts, there is a good share of quality photos on FB. If that share is only, say 5 percent of the total, then this would still make FB 1.5x larger than Flickr on the quality dimension, and then you'd still have all the rest.

Within my contacts I'd say that the share of higher quality photos on FB is a good deal higher than just 5 percent, but admittedly this may not be a representative sample. Among other things it includes a couple pro photographers - who incidentally tend to run contests within FB groups, not Flickr...

Finally let's go back for a second on Flickr photo "quality". Yes, agreed, there are more serious photographers there so the TECHNICAL quality tends to be a good deal higher. But the "interestingness" of the shots, frankly, is hardly better than on FB - actually I'm almost thinking it is worse because many FLickr users seem to focus on the technical aspect more than on whether the subject is interesting and the light and the colours and so on.

I'm not wishing for Flickr to fail of course, but I think the writing is on the wall.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow