Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brother Jay
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
A new Lens? Or a new Camera?
5 months ago

I already have my personal views on the topic, but I know that this community can bring a tremendous amount of experience to the plate when faced with a choice. Today I bring before you my current dilemma.

I currently own a G12 - it was my starter camera and love a lot of things about it.

I also own an NEX-6 which I got early last year. My purchase of the Nex was intended to solve several things that I felt were missing on my G12 and to allow me to get into the long game with more diverse lens options.

Very quickly on with my Nex I learned the pains associated with getting dirt on the sensor with an ill timed lens change. This caused me to change the way I shoot, or rather changed the way I go shooting. I now pack both cameras and take both with me. The G12 I use for everything close-mid, and I use the Nex for all my long shooting.

One thing that I still lack with both camera's is some low light capabilities. The G12 has a faster lens than anything I got kit wise with the Nex, and the Nex obviously has the better sensor.

The time has now come for me to get something with a faster lens and this is where my current dilemma comes in. I have the choice of getting the newer G16 camera; or I can go and get the SEL35F18 35mm f1.8.

Both the G16 and the SEL benefit from a 1.8 fast lens, the G16 is without question the cheaper of the two routes.  The G16 has so many improvements over the G12 that it is something I am strongly considering.

What I was hoping for from some of you is why you think I should go one way or the other.  I am totally looking for your personal opinions so please, help me to make the right choice.  What are the advantages you all see from either route.

Thanks,

Jay

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G16 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow