Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Francis E
Senior MemberPosts: 1,530Gear list
Like?
Leica R on Sony A7
9 months ago

I thought I would jot down a few impressions. I've previously used my Leica R lenses on M 4/3 with a Novoflex adapter, specifically on an Olympus OMD EM 5.

I've just received a Novoflex adapter for my A7.

Firstly, I'm not arguing about the great advantage of using my Leica lenses on the A 7 as they were designed. This is particularly true of some of the longer ones, such as 180/2.3, which becomes 360 mm on the OMD.

I do think that the M 4/3 system is easier to use, and of course for bird photography the longer focal length comes in handy.

In particular, the Novoflex adapter on the Sony is bigger than the combination of the one on the M 4/3 and the 4/3 to M 4/3 adapter.

I'm also a bit thrown by a couple of quirks on the A 7. I'm used to aperture priority and auto ISO with my manual lenses on M 4/3. If I use this on a manual lens on the A 7, all is well until I get to f5.6, then the shutter speed gets stuck at 1/60 and exposure is compensated by pushing out ISO. If I use a set ISO, all is well, and the other remedy is to use shutter priority.

I haven't used shutter priority since my film days.

I have a feeling that my Leica Summicron 50/2 performs as well or better on my Olympus EM 5 as the best native lens I have for it, Zuiko 75/1.8. (Different effective focal lengths, of course)

I tried out the Zeiss 35/2.8 in the Sony Centre when I first looked at the A 7 and A 7 R.

I am wondering if others think that, to get the best from the A 7, the native lenses are the ones to go for.

Francis E's gear list:Francis E's gear list
Leica C Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow