Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208
Like?
Just venting - a day of using the Canon Rebel XSi
9 months ago

Wow, just...wow. As a GX1 owner, today I was handed a Canon Rebel XSi that I will be using at work as my 'new' macro setup. I went out and bought the Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro and started taking some pictures.

It is amazing to me that so many people rave about the 'advantages' of their dSLR's. This thing...stinks.

Where do I begin? Having to hold down the exposure compensation button while turning the control dial in manual mode to access apertures (I'm left-eyed, so I get a nice right-eyeful of thumb knuckle doing so)?

Live View focusing options in a "Custom settings" menu?

Live View focusing activated by the "*" button, rather than a half-push of the shutter release?  And having to hold it down while it (tries) to attain focus, rather than being an 'activation' switch (holding it down for a length of time can slightly move the camera while taking macro shots)?

Painfully slow and, even worse, pretty rotten accuracy of Live View's CDAF (tested both handheld and on tripod)? Quick View's PDAF in macro is far superior but then you've got to go back into that "Custom settings" menu to make the change...

Slow shutter speed flash sync as a "Custom setting" option rather than a flash menu option?

OK, granted, the XSi came out in 2008 while the GX1 is 2012; however the GX1 is considered an update of the GF1 and, for example, AFAIK the thumb wheel operation in manual is still the same (FAR superior to the XSi's idea of how to get access to the two different settings you need). The XSi's ergos are a disaster and operating the camera, well, just is not that pleasant.

Thankful to be going back to my GX1 for personal use!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow