Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Anderegg
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
Sony HDR-CX900 hands-on review and testing
4 months ago

My shiny new CX900 is scheduled to arrive from B&H on April 1st. I would like to do a full hands-on review as well as some real video testing. It will come with the little Bluetooth wireless microphone, as well as a 16x9 EXII 0.8x 82mm (with 62mm step-up ring) attachment. I am a television news shooter, and this will replace my Panasonic x920 for use as a secondary small ENG camera. I expect the picture quality to be better than the HM790 I am issued at work!

Anyway, I will "spray" some night news scenes complete with flashing police lights, low light, lit with CN160 3400k filtered LED light, sound bites, etc. I will be using the camera in 720p30 MP4 mode simply because my station is an ABC affiliate (720p), and our computers only have FCP7 at the moment. For testing for you guys, I will shoot in 1080p30 XAVC S, simply because low light requires a 1/30 sec shutter speed, so 60p would just duplicate frames. Also, web based video is currently limited to 30p.

If you have any requests for things to point the camera at, or specific shots you need to see, please let me know over the weekend, and I will put them on the "to-do" list for next week. I have a cat available, so that obviously will be included! Suggestions for web hosting still frames and video that will still be clickable 5 years from now would also be helpful, as I get annoyed when I am trying to research old products and find forums full of dead links.  If you would like to host a download XAVC S raw camera file, that would also be cool.

I was going to scan and post the user manual, which Sony will not put online, but due to copyright issues, I will only be able to look stuff up and pass along any details you wish to know.

Paul Anderegg

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow