ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DancingQueen
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Camcorder or SLR?
9 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am going to be filming a documentary for a project related to my MA degree. I am needing to purchase a sometype of camera that will enable me to film the footage I need.

I am looking

• for something that is great in low light such as churches
  • great audio
  • with a connector for a mike
  • that is under $1000 (the lower the better)
  • I will be conducting interviews which will last about an hour or so in length
  • Takes an SD card. (I got a few on sale at Stapes for about $30) each.
  • Easy to edit.
  • Somewhat easy to learn. (I need to begin filming sometime after Easter.)

I have been told that both the Canon Rebel 4i or 5i would work but I would need to purchase a microphone to get the best audio. I was also told I could purchase a good camcorder as well. I found the Canon VIXIA HF G20 on sale for $870 but as you know the Canon Rebel costs about the same price. I am an amateur photographer therefore I already own a very good tripod but the question arises which one should I purchase? This project is going to take me a few months to film and then after it is completed, I know I won't be filming that much. The camera I can see myself using quite a bit afterwords since I love photography. I love filming but I'm not a cinema or journalism student so I'm not sure how much I will be doing afterwords.

I want to create a high quality film that can be watched online such as youtube or on a somewhat big screen. The documentary is on Catholic and Pentecostal dialogue, a topic that hasn't been filmed extensively.

I am open to hearing all of your comments. I want to purchase something good quality that I can use for quite a while in the future.

Thank you for all of your help,

Canon EOS 1200D (EOS Rebel T5 / EOS Kiss X70) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow