Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,260Gear list
Like?
16-50 -- How bad is it, really?
9 months ago

Ok, it's the kit lens everyone loves to hate, but it seems to have good contrast and color, so I've been using it over the 18-55.  I need to make more test comparisons, but I can't say that I'm all that interested as long as I'm getting decent results.

Here's a photo I took a while ago and re-discovered.  It's at 50mm, which is supposed to be the weak-spot for this lens, and f6.3.  Maybe stopping it down slightly helps a lot or maybe it's just that everything that is in focus is in the center (and not a lot is in focus anyway!).  The problem with this photo is that I didn't have a longer lens, so I cropped slightly.  Anyway, it shows a pretty good amount of detail, I think, even if a prime could have done better.

Cropped slightly.  50mm, f5.6

This photo was at around 20mm, which is close to a sweet-spot for the lens.

In one review, it stated that bokeh is good if your subject is close, but if not, then it's poor.  That may be right, as these flower shots look pretty good, but I've other photos where the bokeh is really poor.  Also, corners can be poor at 16mm.  Can't have it all.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow