ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chuck_FL
Regular MemberPosts: 386
Like?
What to buy. Prime or zoom. So much to decide
7 months ago

Hi All,

Recently bought a D7100 with kit lens (18-140).

I mostly like to shoot nature and BIF, etc. I know the Nikon 300 has had great reviews and add something like a 1.4, 1.7 or a 2.0 converter to it (nikon for sure).

Or possibly the 80-400.

There is of course the new Tamron 150-600 coming out soon with a Nikon mount.

I "think" I want to lean towards the Tamron to get the Telephoto range on 150-600 though I realize I am giving up on lower F stops, etc. Also don't want to spend crazy $$$ quite yet.

I could go to $2K or so, but really rather not unless it is truly needed. Been pickled now since the Tamron has come out. I know there are saying some issues on Certain Canon bodies but not on others.

Rather keep it in the $1K to $1.5K price range.

Sometimes I think a prime say 300 might be too much on some shooting.

So, (loaded question I know) is wait for the Tamron to be released or get a prime with converters or a nikon telephoto (with converters).

I have turned off VR on my BIF shooting. Not sure if/when I will turn it on (on any lens). Seems to me it has done nothing least in my shooting.

Also of course the D7100 can use non AF-S lenses (some of them)

I know this might belong in another forum as well, but I am more keying replies to people that own a D7100 vs another body.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and comments.

Chuck

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow