Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lyle-Mi
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
LX7 vs LR1: LR1 was my choice
7 months ago

Getting geared up for a trip through the High Sierras this summer. About a month or so ago I bought a Ricoh GR as the main camera. Nice large sensor and ability to crop in camera from 28mm to 35mm and, now with firmware update, 47mm. Really like this camera and hope to get some great photos.

I got it to replace (downsize) my Nikon D5100 and lens setup. Didn't want to sacrifice the larger sensor.

That said, I have gone backpacking before, and had a digital camera die on me within the first 10 minutes of a trip. I did not want to chance that on this trip, so I've been looking for a back-up that would offer some telephoto options as a bonus. I'm generally a wide-angle guy, especially when in the mountains. I still wanted the potential for some good quality images if this had to become the main camera. After looking, and comparing for the last few days, it came down to the LX7 vs LR1. The LR1 won out for me because of the small size/weight, and the EVF which I know from experience will come in very handy in the bright California sun at altitude.

Both these cameras are the exact same price on Amazon, I should have the LR1 tomorrow - looking forward to getting it and getting familiar with it.

These two cameras together with plenty of extra batteries will still be lighter and more compact than the D5100 kit.

Anyone think strongly I made a mistake?

Lyle-Mi's gear list:Lyle-Mi's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D90 Nikon D5100 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow