D800 with Sigma 24 105mm f4 Art Lens Anyone using?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 with Sigma 24 105mm f4 Art Lens Anyone using?
In reply to Robert Cain, 7 months ago

I would think more about the size and aperture.  I briefly had a Nikkor 24-120mm and decided to return it.  I had been waiting a long time for the lens rebate and then didn't care for the lens after all.

First i missed the extra stop.  In that focal range I often shoot indoors and low/evening light.

Secondly I didn't like the way it extended.  It has long neck.

It wasn't that light and if I'm going to carry it around I'd prefer the 24-70mm in that weight range.

Lastly IMO the quality wasn't up there with the 24-70mm in build or in IQ.

I bought an 85mm prime which I'm very happy with and had planned to buy the 105mm to cover the rest of the range.  However the 105mm is a bit of a dinosaur so I've decided to forego it.  The 85mm is enough.

OTOH I've always wanted to try one of the new Sigma ART's so if a rebate comes along...  It's my impression that Sigma does what they do well (I had an older Sigma MF) and hit a sweet spot of cost (lower than Nikkor) and IQ (close or sometimes better than Nikkor).

regards, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow