k3 (awesome camera) vs dp3m (thanks Heie2)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088Gear list
Like?
k3 (awesome camera) vs dp3m (thanks Heie2)
6 months ago

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to meet up with heie2 who is currently visiting Scotland and it was great to spend the day with him but I'll let him do a little post about his Scotland visit when he has the time

Anyway, while Heie2 was here we set up a very simple test shot, Heie2 took the photo's on one of my sd cards and I was left with the raw files to play around with.

To get a better idea of the files I didn't sharpen either in post (or in raw) apart from the default sharping that LR applies and since the dpm3 file is much smaller than the k3 files (15.6mp vs 24) I exported a tiff from sigma pro at 2x the size and then reduced the image to match the size of the k3.

This is being a little unfair to the sigma as its now enlarged a fair bit but I felt it would make a better comparison.

I know the lens on the dpm3 is well regarded and matched to the sensor, so possibility using a dedicated marco could help the k3 out more but I was surprise to see even with the 24mp no AA filter sensor that it still couldn't match the detail of the little sigma (mind i paid £340 for the sigma).

But that's not to say the sigma is a better camera.. the k3 is wonderful, it takes my k5 which I love and builds on it and seems to make it better and faster in every way and is a much more versatile tool than the sigma but in the right situation (ie good light, 50mm focal length) that little sigma is pretty special.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow