What is Back Button Focus all about?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dlinney
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: What is Back Button Focus all about?
In reply to BobT, 6 months ago

1) Suppose you want to take a series of shots of a person giving a speech. You want the subject off-centre. With normal shutter button controlling focus I have to position, half-press, recompose, fully-press for each of the shots. With back button focus: I position (for focus) and hit */AF-On button (don't have to hold it down), recompose hit shutter button to take picture, hit shutter button to take next picture, hit shutter button to take next picture, ...etc. - no need to recompose between shots.

2) I have a bird in a tree and camera tends to lock focus on branches towards the front. Each time I take a picture I have to juggle the camera to get it to lock onto the bird rather than a branch. With back button focus I only need do that juggling once and the focus stays put however many shots I take.

3) I want to take a series of shots with different DoF - again with subject off-centre: I can lock focus by hitting back-button, then take several shots in quick succession with different apertures without having to refocus / recompose each time.

If you took back-button focus away from me now I would absolutely despair. It takes a little time to get used to it but once it becomes second-nature it is far superior (for me) to using focus on the shutter button.

-- hide signature --

Derek

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow