Df or D610 and lenses

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,400Gear list
Like?
Re: Df or D610 and lenses
In reply to FujLiver, 5 months ago

The Df is a really good second camera for Nikon FF users, or one that you get just for Nikon primes, esp. if they are small manual focus.

But, it sounds like you need an all round camera for many uses. So, the 610 is the better solution, not to mention its much lower in price.

For myself, I got the Df since it perfectly complements my D700. If i did not have the D700, I would have been more practical and gone for the D610.

FujLiver wrote:

I am traditionally a user of expensive compact camera systems for many years, using a few high quality lenses. Recently, and for some things coming up, I have a need for a much wider range of lenses.

i am only looking for FF. I almost thought of APS-C but with the D7100 is so close in weight and size to the D610 it didn't seem worth it. Weight and size are important to me.

i haven't looked at the DSLR market for many years and I am amazed how much it has changed. Mainly the sheer amount of good value high quality lenses (at least when stopped down a bit). Such as the 18-35mm, 28mm f2.8, 24-85mm f2.8-4, 85mm f1.8G, even third party such as the Tamron 70-300mm Vi, 24-70mm f2.8 and of course the Sigma art series. I really think I can build up a great range for a fairly small amount of money.

the cost of the body doesn't bother me so much, as long as it's quality made and will last for many years.

The D610 vs Df is a difficult one. The spec. of the D610 is better, apart from low light, but the things that appeal to me about the Df are lower weight, smidgen smaller, less threatening and more subtle look. Unique look, which is quirky but I quite like. The only thing I don't like about the Df is the lack of video. Although I am not a videographer, it's nice to be able to shoot some occasional shorts without having to carry a video camera (although a TX40 is fairly minimal).

Curious if anyone else made this decision and other thoughts from folk. It's seems silly to say I like the Df as it's looks are more appealing and it's lighter but that is me being honest. On the other hand the D610 is not bad looking and 24mp and video seem a great idea.

Thoughts and comments greatly accepted ...

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow