e-m10 at $699 or e-m5 at $799 for 1st MFT camera?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gary_p
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
e-m10 at $699 or e-m5 at $799 for 1st MFT camera?
8 months ago

Hi,

After deciding that I really wanted more flexibility than my Fuji S600fd could offer lens wise, I am down to deciding on the Olympus M series. This is my first MFT camera and I'm just starting to learn about them. I was all prepared to purchase a Canon SL1 when I learned about these cameras. I like the size primarily and don't want to carry a bunch a large lenses. So, my question is this...I like the Olympus and was interested in the m10 because of price. However, the m5 is currently on sale for only a $100 more. So, I've read the differences and wonder which is best? If the price difference was $300, then I would choose the m10. Since they are so close, I'm not certain. It also doesn't help that our local camera shop does not have a m10 in stock for me to do a hands on comparison.

I'm a bit more than a beginner and have taken a class or two on photography. I shoot mostly for our family and travel. I do like to try some interesting shots both in macro and zoom, which is why I've decided to move on from my super zoom bridge. Prior to the Fuji, I used a Canon Rebel 35mm with a 28-200 Tamron zoom. I'm going to post an additional question on lens choice because I've got two legacy lenses from my 35mm days, but right now I'm mainly interested in deciding on camera body first.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Gary

gary_p's gear list:gary_p's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow