Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
RealEstate reality..
9 months ago

I've just come off the 'phone after a slightly surreal conversation with a director from one of our local property development-management firms.

A long conversation starting about how I was recommended by another for doing an excellent job and my webpage looks good etc etc..So far so good. I'm onto something here I thought...The conversation moves onto technical details of a €5m property to be advertised in the national press..even better!

Guy then moves on to complaining about the poor quality work done by an another aerial photographer and his partner who worked on the ground. Completely unsatisfactory etc and can I do better? This is getting strange: I know the couple concerned professionally: husband and wife team and their work is good.

Then we get onto price and we really hit the rocks.

I quote a ballpark figure dependant on seeing the location etc and there is a sudden silence on the end of the 'phone.

I'm told point blank that I'm overcharging by a factor of 3 and he can get an alternative for that price including photography from an aircraft. Now commercial aircraft hire here for photography is a minimum of €300 per hour and a helicopter €600 He reckons he can get one for €100 + VAT etc etc. I'm not particularly flexible on price and certainly not working at a loss. We left the conversation at 'I'll phone around and get back to you..'

The figures he's quoting are utterly impossible. You couldn't run a commercial aircraft at €100 per hour. The fuel costs more than that...I'm not arguing, I just politely restated my rate.

Where do these guys come from and what is the overriding motive for attempting to rip everybody off? He's complaining about the quality of the result and insisting on paying beer money rates. The concept of good money for a quality result is heresy?

-- hide signature --

-Captain! Trolls sighted off the starboard bow!
-Very good, prepare the Fuckwitatron...

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow