Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
docvic
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
A note on D600 weather sealing
11 months ago

This is not so much meant to be a complaint as a cautionary tale as to the efficacy of the camera's weather sealing. I recently went on a trip to Vietnam with my D600. We were visiting Hue, and it was raining moderately. I had the (also weather-sealed) Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 mounted on the camera, and this didn't come off.

We ended up shooting various tombs and pagodas for about two hours, during which my camera was open to the intermittent rain and wasn't dried in between stops. It was still fully operational when I left it out to dry the following night.

About a week later we were in another country, and the camera started doing funny things; the viewfinder information started to scramble, then disappear, then reappear. The camera told me that my battery was 'very old,' but I'd only had the battery for a year. It would no longer tell me my auto-ISO sensitivity when I half-pressed the shutter button in the top-down LCD.

It was still managing to take photos despite those things, so when I arrived back in Melbourne I sent it to Nikon to take a look at. They replaced my shutter for free (hurrah) but then told me that there was corrosion to the PCB and they are going to charge me >$400 to repair it. This is fine; I want my camera back in a fully operational state and I can take responsibility for getting it wet in the first place.

However, Nikon then told me that I must have been shooting near the sea because there was salt content (I had not), and that rain water also had salt content in it. They could not tell me to what extent I could use my camera in the rain without damaging it.

Perhaps someone here can shed some light? I understand that I should have been drying as I was shooting and that it was 'too much' rain for even the weather-sealing to contend with, but then how much rain is too much? And what is the point of calling a device 'weather-sealed' when obviously now I am never going to take it out in the rain again?

docvic's gear list:docvic's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow