Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
afterswish1
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
Fujifilm x10 Shallow DOF examples?
8 months ago

I've been asked to recommend a camera for a beginner and been given some rather tough parameters. At first, the main priorities were: cheap (under 300 euros), high IQ, in a camera that offers creative possibilities. They have expanded to include: small and light (to fit in a handbag if possible!), must have some kind viewfinder.

Before the more recent specifications were known to me I was considering the Samsung NX100 as you get an APS-C sensor, OLED screen and collapsable kit zoom lens for next to nothing. I also had an older entry level DSLR such as the Nikon D3100 on the list.

Now however, I can only think of one camera that fits the bill: the Fujifilm x10. The way I see it, not being an interchangeable lens camera is irrelevant if you're just going to stick with the kits lens anyway (fairly likely). The x10 likely has better build quality than the Nikon, and the zoom range offers more flexibility than the Samsung. Out-of-camera jpegs are also probably more pleasing.

The one slight snag is of course that you can't slap on a cheap and cheerful nifty fifty and experiment with shallow depth of field shots. The question I have then is how flexible is the x10's zoom in this regard? Have you got any examples at the long end, say head shots for example? Actually, any shots at all with nicely blurred backgrounds would be great

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow