Looking for a Flickr Alternative - Suggestions?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fulcanelli
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
Looking for a Flickr Alternative - Suggestions?
7 months ago

I really enjoyed my photo activity at Flickr since joining in 2005. With Flickr's move to competing with other social media services, with great sadness, it's time for me to move on. I enjoyed the camaraderie at Flickr, interacting with people, and loved the groups. Prior to Flickr, I was active at DeviantArt just as it was launching and liked it until a power coup resulted in new policies. That's when I bailed and went to FLickr. I also tried photo.net (I think) and did not like that. For me, photography is about the subject matter and I am not all that interested in the technical side of photography. Photo.net was all about that.

I do not consider myself a great photographer and have a 'Zen' like outlook to taking pictures. I am not a particularly social person and don't use social media and am really not drawn to that style of living. But one issue that is dear to me is privacy. During my last days at DeviatArt there were stories circulating on the site from members who were finding their images for rent on stock image sites. The wording in the user agreements were in constant edit mode and DA was claiming rights to access and sell their member's work, at least that is how I understood it.

I have tried other photo sharing sites including PhotoBucket and Ipernity. I am not comfortable with their user agreements. Not being a lawyer, perhaps I do not understand it but what I want is the assurance that the site will not claim the right to my work for anything other than display. In other words, I don't want them to sell my photos or give third parties any access to them. Flickr seemed pretty good on that account.

There will more of us looking for an alternative site for photo sharing. Please share your suggestions on alternative sites. Besides my concern about ownership, I want something artistic and not overly technical.

Other site Suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tooloose-letrek/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow