F20 drains battery while turned off. Anyone else with this issue on an older camera?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
captainkirk
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
F20 drains battery while turned off. Anyone else with this issue on an older camera?
4 months ago

Yes I know this camera is old, but it still works great and takes excellent pictures, so I'd like to still be able to use it. The problem is that if I leave the battery in the camera, it gets completely drained after 2 or 3 days, even if the camera is not used at all during that time. If I remove the battery from the camera, it will hold its charge for months outside the camera. I also bought a 2nd battery and it does exactly the same thing, so it definitely seems like an issue with the camera itself and not the batteries.

If I remove the battery from the camera while not in use, then the battery will hold its charge. This is a hassle though, because the camera looses all its settings and the date/time if the battery is removed for very long.

The camera did not have this problem during the first several years of its life. The battery used to last "forever".

I searched and found a few other threads about similar issues with other Fuji models, but no info on causes or solutions.

I have a few theories (based purely on guesses, since I'm not an electronics expert):

A) Maybe the flash capacitor is not holding it's charge, and the camera is continuously trying to charge that capacitor even when he camera is off.

B) Maybe some kind of internal short has developed which drains he battery. Not sure why this would happen though, or why the camera would continue to function normally other than the battery drain.

C) I took the camera apart and there is a small internal battery, like a watch battery, that is attached to the main board. This battery may be dieing or dead due to age, causing he camera to go into some funky battery-draining state while the camera is off. Unfortunately this battery seems to be glued/soldered in place on the delicate dual-sided surface mount PC board, so not easy for an amateur to replace.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any other info or theories about the cause or solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow