Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,131
Like?
fps in proposed D800s spec seems unlikely to be correct
9 months ago

Some things about the proposed D800s specs on nikonrumors don't make sense to me.

The Nikon Rumors specs propose 5fps at 36MP and 6fps if you add the grip.  Unless Nikon is purposely crippling the camera to require the grip when it's not really needed, this doesn't really make sense to me.

The two main reasons you need more power to go faster are to drive the mirror fast enough or to process the bits fast enough.

Yet, we know that the D610 can already drive the mirror at 6fps with the same regular battery, so clearly no grip is needed to drive the mirror to 6fps.

Further, we know that the EXPEED4 is massively more power efficient and significantly faster than the EXPEED3 so it's hard to imagine that they somehow need more power to process a 6fps stream of 36MP images.

So the part of the proposed spec that says 5fps with the normal battery and 6fps with grip just really doesn't make sense to me.  If it was 6fps with normal battery (matching the D610 mirror speed) and 8fps with the grip that would line up better with when the grip might actually be needed to supply more power.

Yes, I know that processing 8fps with 14-bit 36MP images is a lot, but the Fujitsu Milbeaut core in the EXPEED4 is supposed to be able to do 24MP at 12fps which equates to the same number of bits as 36MP at 8fps so I'm hoping Nikon can actually do that.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D610 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow