Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sam2046
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Yet another 85mm vs 50mm on DX dilemma.
6 months ago

I'm using a D5100 and am planning to buy my first prime lens.  I will use this mainly for portraiture. I have narrowed down my choices to 50mm 1.8G and 85mm 1.8G. 35mm 1.8G, though versatile, is too wide for my taste. Now, I know that 85mm 1.8G is more appropriate lens for portraits, but I think it'll be too long for indoor use. Also 85mm will require a faster shutter speed to prevent camera shake. And the price of 85mm is more than thrice of 50mm.

What concerns me the most is the perspective distortion everyone talks about. I'm attaching a few photos that I've shot with my kit lens. Will shooting photo with compositions like these with the 50mm introduce any distortion?

Also, I've heard that the color rendition differs from lens to lens. Is there any difference between how the 85mm 1.8G and the 50mm 1.8G renders colors?

Also, I'll be happy if anyone could show me a few samples of portraits taken with 50mm on a DX format camera.

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow