What exactly is Canon doing?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Re: What exactly is Canon doing?
In reply to Craig76, 9 months ago

Craig76 wrote:

Canon is pushing innovation with the dual pixel thing which will likely make its way into other models soon. The 6D AF is sensitive down to -3 EV!!!!! and that 20mp sensor on the 6D controls noise while keeping its dynamic range up through the higher ISOs better than that 36mp and 24mp sensor that Sony has been pumping out.

I think this illustrates the problem I mentioned elsewhere.  Mid-20's MP, -3EV, 100K ISO - exactly what additional sensor capability is really going to make a big difference in sales to the broad marketplace.  Like PC's, they are now good enough for almost everyone, and the next step in capabilities just doesn't drive upgrade sales like previous generations did.  If you're not going to sell as many, you greatly slow the development cycle.  I think it's just a reality of a maturing market.

The key to success will be new features that haven't been explored yet - dual pixel is the latest.  But with GPS, WiFI, etc., also becoming common, what is that next "must have" to drive sales?  I guess that's their challenge.

rdspear's gear list:rdspear's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow