Requesting a REAL A6000 autofocus test (SEL5018 @ f1.8)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Requesting a REAL A6000 autofocus test (SEL5018 @ f1.8)
4 months ago

Like many of you, I've been quite impressed with the AF performance tests I've seen on the A6000, but it seems like every test is a flawed measure of the AF system's performance "under duress." The tests I've seen generally cut the AF system a ton of slack in one or more of the following ways:

• High contrast subject
  • Lots of light
  • Subject moving left to right across field of view, i.e. little or no refocusing needed
  • Short focal length, like 20mm pancake, i.e. lots of DOF
  • Lens known to be quick-focusing, again, like the 20mm pancake
  • Narrow aperture (f5.6 or greater), i.e. lots of DOF
  • Clean (low) ISO

Can one of you lucky bastards in Australia, Europe, etc. who already have your A6000 take a few minutes to perform a more rigorous test? Here would be an ideal test for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this:

• SEL5018 @ f1.8 (known to be slow focusing)
  • Indoors
  • Whatever ISO gets you over, say, 1/160sec or higher at a decent exposure level.
  • Subject: your dark dog, sitting across the room on a dark couch or floor
  • Test: shoot a burst right after you call the dog to you!

Of course that's extreme, but I haven't seen a single test that even comes close to this setup. Alternately you could take your dark dog to a shady park in late afternoon, and try the same thing with a 16-70/4 @ 70mm, f4 (not as ideal, as the 16-70/4 is known to be faster autofocusing).

My fellow Yankee Sony-lovers and I would be eternally grateful... <grin>

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow