A quick review of Meike MK910 flash.....

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
A quick review of Meike MK910 flash.....
4 months ago

After I got D800e 2 years ago I of course bought Nikon SB-910 flash and MB-D12 grip.

I just got the second D800e so I decided to try third party stuff since it is widely available now.

The first thing I got is the Meike MK910.

I am kind of impressed, honestly. I hope it will last even though this is my second third party flash in my long career. The first one was long time ago Sigma 500 which was just OK compared to Canon 550.

I am not an experienced blog writer so please bare with me.

Both flashes look almost the same. I did not configure MK910 yet (beyond removing annoying beep) and did not read the manual fully. But I was anxious to take few pictures to see if one is different than the other and so far I really don't see much difference.

According to the specs Meike guide number is higher than Nikon but the head coverage is slightly lower. 200mm vs 180mm

But I did discover few physical differences though:

The head has no lock. It is tight and it has clicks but it will go in to macro position and it will rotate without releasing the lock first. I actually like this better for quickness of operation. I will try it next on the red carpet for the quick bouncing.

I think it takes a little longer for Meike to get fully charged and ready but I have to confirm it yet.

Also, menus and some buttons operations are not exactly the same either.

Keep scrolling.

Nikon is on the left here.

Battery compartment does not have the lock either. In fact as you can see the door did not close completely but flash still works. I closed it later after I took this picture.

Sorry, Nikon flash is on the right.

Even though Meike head looks larger in this picture it is not. Just an optical illusion.

Two quick samples

Nikon first. Meike second.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow