D4s has smaller RAW buffer than D4??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s has smaller RAW buffer than D4??
In reply to crosstype, 6 months ago

crosstype wrote:

It really just depends on the scene. The amount of information stored into the RAW file would significantly impact the flushing performance. Yes, for some scenes the D4S is able to capture more details (even with the same parameters, because the D4S' actual ISO sensitivity is higher than that of the D4 with the same manufacturer value), hence having to write more data into the memory card.

With everything OFF, 14-bit lossless compressed RAW, and identical lens, identical Sony 180MB/s XQD, they outperform each other in different situations.

For this scene the D4S took 81 pictures at 11 fps, while the D4 took 80 pictures at 10 fps.

For this scene the D4S took 73 pictures at 11 fps, while the D4 took 75 pictures at 10 fps.

What I shot was similar (didn't keep the images ,though). Yours seem to make sense - you are getting comparable performance between the 2 cameras and your numbers are in line with those predicted in Nikon's manuals. However, in every case my D4s records SIGNIFICANTLY less images in a RAW burst before slow down (25-30% less). I'm beginning to think sometign might be wrong with it based on your results.

BTW - here is Nikon USA's response:

How's that for tech support/customer service - NOT!!!!

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow