Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,617Gear list
Like?
RX10 Wetlands Pt II - Egrets in mating colors, others
6 months ago

A few more shots I took from the wetlands with the RX10 this past weekend...to continue my first wetlands post.

This time, I have a few different egrets with their brighter mating colors and displays turned on, plus two colorful iridescent black bird and a hidden lizard...here goes!:

The boat-tailed grackle is generally a plain looking black bird with a long tail in dull light, but turn the sun on him and he glows with iridescent colors

Great egrets can change colors a bit - the normally all-yellow bill grows a green at the base around the eyes, and the male has very long back feathers which he'll fan up in an elaborate display to attract a female.

Often the male will build a nest before even getting a mate, in hopes of attracting one with his lovely home he made for her.  This one cheated - he jumped on another bird's nest while she was away, killed the two chicks, and then went to work looking for a mate.  Ruthless dinosaurs!

The glossy ibis also changes a bit for mating season - the white around the face, as well as more iridescent and green feather colors on the head and back.

This cattle egret sat up on the rail as I approached, and didn't leave.  The cattle egrets get stronger orange/yellow colors during mating season, on the neck, back, and head

He did give me a look as I got closer...a funny look at that!

The cattle egret with the boardwalk in the background

A male red-winged blackbird also popped up on the rail to watch me - he has a nest nearby and wanted to make sure I wasn't a threat

A young green iguana, well camouflaged with his vibrant green with black patterns, as he sits in a marsh tree - this was just after a rainshower, so the leaves are still dropped with water

Comments, questions, critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow