Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
needmoretoys
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
Recommendation on camera for wife.
4 months ago

I've been into SLR photography for over 40 years and my wife just now wants to get into photography. I have a SL1, FZ200, ZS7 and an old S5IS. Right now she is starting to use the S5IS, but I would like to get her a camera with a better sensor. It is not that good above ISO 100. I would give her the FZ200, but it is fairly complicated for a beginner. The S5IS has all the settings required and is less complicated than the FZ200.

Right now she likes the G16 the best of all reasonably priced cameras that have a zoom range that would be good for what she wants to photograph. She is most interested in taking photos indoors, like museums or exhibits, scenic and general vacation photos. I'm into macro and birds but she has no interest in that. I got her a good book on photography for beginners and she wants to learn to properly use PASM modes and not full auto.

The only reason that she is not sure about getting the G16 is that she likes the touch screen on the SL1. We could get her a SL1 with the EF-S 15-85mm for a complete zoom range, but it's both heavier and more expensive than she wants. She's thinking of waiting to see if the next G series will have a touch screen, or perhaps even an electronic viewfinder and just use the S5IS this year. The S120 would be a possibility, but she doesn't like the small size and lack of any hand grip.

I really can't think of any good options except the G16, which we both like, or wait to see what the next G brings. Any thoughts?

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow