Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pierre Daigneault
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
BBW - Best Bokeh Workflow
6 months ago

I have the FZ150 and to my mind this is just about the perfect camera for me (ok...maybe the FZ200 would inch ahead). There are only two areas that I would like to see just a little better performance.

The first is in high ISO noise. With sensor technology continuing to move forward (fueled primarily by the demand for better mobile devices) I can see the life and quality of small sensors continuing to improve (there is Samsung's new ISOcell technology, sensor "doping", the new organic sensors etc.). I believe that it won't be long before small sensors are capable of acceptable noise images up to 1600 ISO. However the question is whether or not Panny will still be in the superzoom game at that point and if they would release a new model with the new sensor.

The second area is in the area of DOF. As we all know, only one point is really in focus at any one time. It has always amazed me that selective and progressive bokeh can not be effectively applied in software (assess the softness and apply a blur proportional to the softness percieved).

Recently I have been trying to emulate a larger sensor camera by applying a selective blur (using the GIMP) with some success. I just wanted to compare workflow and learn if some had better techniques. Here is my current workflow....open to suggestions.

- Add alpha channel and add two duplicate layers

- Add layer mask and mask out background on top layer (dress edges as required)

- Add layer mask to second layer and apply gradient for direction of increasing distance

- Apply gaussian blur to second layer

- Merge and process.

Here are a couple of results from last weekend.

Comments welcome.

-- hide signature --

The most important part of your camera is the large nut behind the lens......

Pierre Daigneault's gear list:Pierre Daigneault's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Brother MFC-J415w
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow