Yet another D7100 vs D600 question for consideration ...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NattySloan
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Yet another D7100 vs D600 question for consideration ...
9 months ago

So yes, the "Should I by the D7000/7100 or the D600/610" question has been beaten into the ground repeatedly over the past year but there are so many subtle variations to it that different circumstances make the decision foggier.

I am an enthusiast photographer, I have a crappy 18-200 Sigma from the earlier part of the decade that will be replaced regardless of which body I buy, so you can consider me "starting fresh."

I'm not dirt poor, but I 'm not spewing cash out of my mouth either. Ordinarily, the decision would be easy if I were paying 'new' prices I'd have to go with the D7100.

-I do a lot of wildlife photography

-I like the better AF system

-I like the flexibility to go to 7fps in crop mode

-I like that lenses are cheaper and lighter

BUT - there is no denying that at the end of the day the D600 can produce better images overall - the differences are clear to see with the naked eye, in my opinion.

A friend of a friend has a d600 that he's selling and he's asking $1,200 for it. He's had it a little over a year, had nikon replace the shutter assembly (has the documentation) and it has a low actuation count since the shutter replacement. He just wants to get some quick cash, I don't know if this is the going price for a used d600 but it seems like a good deal to me.

Then again, once I buy it I can afford a 50mm FX lens and 1 other lens, probably a DX lens which means I lose quality shooting in crop mode for the nature stuff I love shooting. I know the 7100 will beat the pants off the 600 in crop mode for wildlife, but part of me says I should go for it anyway and just save up for some better FX glass down the road.

Thoughts??

Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow