E-M1 - Olympus 7-14 or Panasonic 9-18 *for me*?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 7,805
E-M1 - Olympus 7-14 or Panasonic 9-18 *for me*?

I've done the basic research and know the differences between them. These are the issues with which I'm struggling.

Olympus 7-14

• I love the wider FOV
  • I love doing long exposures so the lack of filter threads is a BIG issue for me
  • I'm concerned about purple fringing and not being able to see it on the LCD in the field, resulting in a completely wasted photo shoot

Panasonic 9-18

• The cost of the filters I'd buy would reduce the price difference between the two but would give me that added functionality
  • I'm wondering if I should even bother buying a polarizer since I've heard there are issues with ultra wide angle lenses
  • Since I'll be shooting a lot of my landscapes at the golden hour I'm wondering if being slower will be a problem

The difference in price isn't going to guide my decision. Buying the lens that will meet my needs the best is my concern.

I'll consider the Olympic 7-14 Pro when it comes out but if I decide to do this I won't wait for that to come out.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
yyr
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow