slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,398Gear list
Like?
Re: How slow is the 60mm real world
In reply to Graham Hill, 5 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Macro lenses are slow to focus period.

This is incorrect. The Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (a true 1:1 macro) focuses VERY fast. Fast enough to shoot sports action.

I'll have to take your word for that. I have used many macro lenses on Nikon SLr's and DSLR's and they have all been slow to focus and hunted alot with the possible exception of the Sigma 150mm macro OS. I have also used the Olympus 60 on MFT and it is similar and has the addded problem of a tricky to use focus limiter.

You accept that if you use a macro lens for non-macro work.

Canon users don't. Perhaps Fujifilm users do.

Like I say, I don't know Canon specifically but I have owned at least 8 macro lenses on other systems including FF Nikon.

The 60 is very slow if you compare it to the 56mm f1.2, but not so slow compared to a typical macro lens. It is optomised for focussing close up where DoF is very narrow, and it doesn't have a very wide aperture.

It's an excellent lens though.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

-- hide signature --

"Film is not a means to the end of "looking like film"... Making film-based photographs is an end in itself for me, not some kind of elaborate photoshop plugin. If I can't put Tri-X in the goddamn thing, I don't want it."
Anonymous

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow