D4s has smaller RAW buffer than D4??

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s has smaller RAW buffer than D4??
In reply to jjnik, 5 months ago

jjnik wrote:

crosstype wrote:

I believe the numbers are just the actual number of pictures that can be taken until the buffer is full, not the number displayed in the bracket in the viewfinder.

Upon a side by side test, with the Sony 180MB/s XQD card, the same settings (100 iso, 1/1000s, 14-bit losslessly compressed raw, everything off) on each camera except 11 fps vs 10 fps, the D4s captured 86 images while the D4 captured 77 images. I consider it to be an improvement.

Weird - my D4s maxes out at ~60 images with a Sony 168MB/s XQD card and those settings. Hard to believe the card difference would make that much difference? i tried a 2 button reset, but that made no difference. I contacted Nikon USA to inquire about this and they are looking into it - curious to see what they come back with...

The actual scene you are shooting makes a huge difference. When I was testing I was shooting with a 200mm f2.0 VR II lens with almost everything in bokeh except a very small main subject, making the raw files much smaller, hence more continuous shots achievable.

You could also try this out with the body cap attached (without any lens) so every picture is purely black.

When I shoot pictures with lots of details (e.g. wide angle and smaller aperture so many stuff is in the depth of field) the raw files are much larger, and the buffer is filled up a lot faster, just like in the 50-60-ish.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow