Alternative to problematic HVL-F60M Flash for Sony A7R

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard Mauro
Regular MemberPosts: 469Gear list
Like?
Re: Alternative to problematic HVL-F60M Flash for Sony A7R
In reply to Steve W, 6 months ago

Steve W wrote:

I've had the camera for about a week and started looking at what I might do for a flash. Saw a few good deals on the HVL-F60M but after reading users comments it looks like it has a serious limitation and overheats a lot.

So what alternatives are there. I own several Canon flashes (430EX II, 600EX-RT x 3) and a Chetah CL-180 but wanted some good but portable like the 430EX except maybe with a video light like the HVL-F60M had.

Any recommendations? Please let me know. I don't want anything that requires a mount adaptor

Thanks,

Steve

Steve. I had the 60M for two months and anytime I used it, it over heated. I know some folks will argue that it should be used in manual and to adjust settings in-camera but for this price point one should be able to shoot 5-7 shots in a two minute period without it shutting down.

As I stated, I came from Canon and the 580EX II never had such issues. If Sony is going to sell such gear, they should warn folks that this is a reality. Yes some people want to shoot in TTL only and take 5-7 shots in two minutes. That's not too much to ask.

I read the Metz 52 AF-1 for Sony works. It's $250 less than the Sony and doesn't sacrifice much.

My Sony a7R has great dynamic range so I will exploit that above a flash and go with natural lighting where possible and reflectors.

The Metz arrives tomorrow so I will report back as soon as possible!

Richard Mauro's gear list:Richard Mauro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow