General Walk Around Lens for A6000

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: General Walk Around Lens for A6000
In reply to kdrk888, 4 months ago

kdrk888 wrote:

Hello all. I will order an A6000 for travel/general purpose. Will the Sony 18-105mm f/4 OSS be a good match for it? It will be wild enough and long enough.

Any other lenses should I consider? I don.t want the kit lens. Will appreciate any suggestions.

No one lens will ever be long enough or wide enough.

The 105mm reach on an APS-C sensor is better than the long end of the 18-55mm lens. However, the 18-105mm lens is more than a half-pound heavier than the 18-55mm lens. Although it's a bit slow at the wide end, the constant f/4 is a plus. But you pay the price in weight as well as in money.

For me, the point of getting a camera like the A6000 is that it's lightweight. It's what I have.

So the 18-105mm lens is a great travel/general purpose lens, with a mild telephoto lens, if you don't mind a boat anchor hanging off the end of your camera.

The 18-55mm lens is great as a travel/general purpose lens, too, if you value a lightweight rig and can live without much of a reach beyond portrait range.

Like you, I don't want the 16-50mm lens. It's the right size, the range is great, but I think there's too much that could go wrong with another piece of electronics.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow