Is there any new PC tech coming down the pipe for which it would be worth postponing a new PC?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpwolf
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Is there any new PC tech coming down the pipe for which it would be worth postponing a new PC?
7 months ago

As I start to get more into photo editing, I'm beginning to realize the limitations of my current current system and I'm contemplating some new computing toys.

Currently I'm editing on this:

Lenovo ThinkPad X230

• Intel i7-3520M (2-core, 4 MB cache, 2.90 GHz)
  • Intel HD 4000 graphics
  • Samsung 830 256 GB SSD
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz RAM
  • 4 TB USB 3.0 External HD
  • 2 x 24" monitors
  • Wacom tablet

My ThinkPad was never meant to be a robust editing platform, but it's worked well enough up until now. As I edit more photos (usually using LR5), the delay between applying edits and those edits being rendered to a full-screen image has become a nuisance and I'm considering an upgrade to my gear.

I'm looking at this:

GIGABYTE BRIX Pro (their caps, not mine)

• Intel i7-4770R (4-core, 6 MB cache, 3.2 GHz)
  • Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics
  • Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB SSD
  • 16 GB 2133 MHz RAM
  • Same ext. HD, monitors and tablet

I think this will have enough computing power to last several years and will be a significant upgrade over my X230, particularly for the 4-core processor and the upgraded graphics. However, I wanted to see if there was any new PC tech coming down the line for which it would be wise to wait.

For example, I upgraded from my T43 ThinkPad (2005 vintage) to the X230, my main reason was to get USB 3.0 for the improved connectivity. I don't follow the PC market that closely, so I was hoping this group could opine on whether there's something good just around the corner that it would make sense to wait for.

If not, I'll probably order the BRIX Pro in the next few days.

Thanks very much.

- M

mpwolf's gear list:mpwolf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +21 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow