long exposure noise with the 24Mp APC sensor?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hha
hha
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
long exposure noise with the 24Mp APC sensor?
5 months ago

I recently bought a D3200. Used for 30 second exposure night photography I noticed a lot of hot pixels. Most, but not all go away in the NR mode. In comparison, my old D40 has no hot pixels even with 30 seconds exposures and there is no need to use the NR mode. There were rumors on the forum about hot pixels in the D3200. Having to deal with hot pixels in PP or other post processing software should not be required early in the life of a sensor. I am considering returning the D3200, but what else is there available from Nikon? The D3200, D3300, D5200, D5300 and D7100 all use the same 24 Mp APC CMOS sensor.

Question 1) do you see lots of hot pixels on your D3200 which do not go away in the NR mode? Maybe I got a lemon. What about in your D5200 or D7100?

Question 2) There is a significant price increment between the D3200, the D5200 and the D7100, which use the same sensor. Is it possible that the sensors quality (as measured by the count of dead pixels, hot pixels etc) is graded, and the higher priced models get the higher grade sensors?

Thanks for your insight.

hha

Nikon D3200 Nikon D3300 Nikon D40 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow