How slow is the 60mm real world

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907Gear list
Like?
Re: How slow is the 60mm real world
In reply to bill vann, 4 months ago

The 14mm is a great lens for just about anything, IMO. Not just landscapes; I've used it doing some street photography and had some unusual success. It may not be ideal for that setting, but when shot from that perspective, ordinary scenes can become interesting in ways you might not imagine. But the 10-24mm zoom has good IQ as well; nothing wrong with that if it meets your needs better.

The 18-55mm is a really nice standard zoom. One thing I appreciate about that lens is the consistency of the images it renders across the spectrum of its focal length range. Less sophisticated zooms may tend to exhibit uneven performance and have weak performance at certain lengths as the lens elements shift position.

As for the 60mm, I'm ordering that this week, and largely for the reasons you mention. But the biggest reason would probably have to be the cost saving of $250 with the current instant rebate program.

By nearly all accounts the small 60mm short telephoto lens is incredibly sharp, and capable of standing in for the 56mm in all but the f/1.2 aperture and the speed of the auto focus functions. But the 60mm was never intended to be a speed demon. It was designed to allow for excessively precise focusing at close distances; that is what a macro lens is for. And that's why the focusing mechanism has to turn a lot farther to move the focusing lenses the same distance in comparison to what the 23mm or the 56mm have to do.

If changing lenses is a challenge, perhaps you might consider picking up a good used X-E1 body to carry with you as a second body with a second lens mounted and ready to go. They're out there for $350 not too infrequently.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow