Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MinAZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
FZ200 Image Quality Issue
9 months ago

I originally posted at http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53375026 but was told that this might be a better place to seek advice.

Essentially, I find that the FZ200 gives an unacceptable "graininess" or perhaps "pixelation." I am tempted to use the word "noise" to describe the quality of images, but I am not sure it is noise per se, since this problem occurs at:

- ALL ISOs including ISO 100

- ALL focal lengths, but perhaps more at 600mm equiv.

- ALL shooting conditions that I have tested, even under bright sunlight

- In BOTH raw and jpeg formats (I usually shoot with RAW + JPEG)

The problem manifests itself when zooming in to about 70%. At 100% zoom, the "noise" is pretty bad. Turning off the "intelligent sharpening" or whatever that option is called helped a little. But in the end, the quality seems to be very bad even when compared to some old pics I took with a very outdated P&S. You can see samples I have posted in the thread linked above.

It is possible (and I hope) that this is due to something that I am not setting correctly, as the FZ200 is intended to be my take-everywhere travel camera. But with the current picture quality, it leaves me wondering whether to just leave it at home.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow