A7 - plenty of dynamic range and fine detail

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard Mauro
Regular MemberPosts: 469Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for that. Makes sense. /nt
In reply to tex, 6 months ago

tex wrote:

"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

Fabulous Duchamp quote! Thanks for that! On that line of thought...

I have the a7R and have both found the DR fantastic and the Sony HVLF60M underwhelming. I know some will say the Sony flash is fine when used manually and not at full power but it sucks when having been convinced to go 180 degrees to mirrorless - selling off ALL my Canon DSLR gear only to find I can't take more than 5-7 full power TTL flash shots without the flash shutting down.

I feel, in my mind, that life needs to get easier, not harder to be as Duchamp points out. I love convenience and ease. I also love being an early adopter and testing new gear.

The Sony flash is going back to Amazon today and I'm getting a Metz 52AF-1, which I read doesn't suffer from the performance issues the Sony 60M does.

I took some head shots off the cuff yesterday after shooting some video for a client at her home with my a7R and forgot to reset the ISO to a lower level. I wasn't shooting with flash and never thought about changing the ISO for some reason!

These RAW shots are wonderful. Shot with the Zeiss 2470SEL lens at 1/125, at F4 of course and 4000ISO. When opening the files in Photoshop I couldn't believe the level adjustment range available - highlight, shadows etc.

I will make it a point to avoid flash as much as possible, using reflectors for light as needed and make my life easier shooting in higher ISO enjoying the benefit of my Sonya7R!

Richard

Richard Mauro's gear list:Richard Mauro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow