Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Revision
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?
VR ,VC, OS: between convenience and necessity
6 months ago

I recently started using a D800E and with it I got a 70-200 VR II to fill a gaping hole in my camera bag (no tele-zoom with an f/ under 5.6 at 200mm = pain and suffering when trying to shoot events).

The VR was to me just something that came with the the 70-200, like the cardboard box the lens shipped with, and not something that determined whether I would buy this or another lens. I have had a 70-300 VR for years and never used it much because of the limitations imposed by the high F/.

Well, fast track two months  and now I find myself using the bulky heavy and excessively long 70-200  instead of my go-to old friend not-as-heavy-and-not-as-bulky 28-70 AFS when I want to shoot at around 70mm FL. The reason is that with VR and F/2.8 I am much less constrained by ambient light levels.

Now I am starting to look at the 24-70 G, my planned replacement for the 28-70 AFS when that 1999 vintage lens goes, as a less than ideal choice because of the missing VR. The Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 VC is starting to look interesting (and I am a dyed in the wool Nikon only person) just because of the VC.

Maybe I am just a victim of consumerism and aggressive advertisement?

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Renato
'The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks.' Henri Cartier Bresson, in the 1930's

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow