Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
well returned the 17-55mm
4 months ago

Bought it for my D7100 back in January and overall just wasn't completely satisfied.  Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the lens and if given the light produced some amazing results.  However, it is bulky to say the least.  At first i didn't think it would bother me but me recently moving to the Sierra Nevada's hiking up and down mountains with the extra weight was more than noticeable.  Also and this is the big kicker i found myself zooming into 50 to 55mm almost 80 percent of the time and only zooming out to about 30 or so the other 20.  So I rarely used the 17mm since i already have the 10-24 which covers the wide angle nicely.  Lastly, i found myself needing even faster glass than 2.8 quite a few times.  I was in a bowling alley for example and i barely got acceptable shots even at 2.8 and bumping the iso to 3200.  So in the end I had buyers remorse.  Let me just say BHphoto is awesome.  They allowed me to return it albeit it a 15% restocking fee but i basically had the lens for 3 months.  I then bought a 50mm 1.4 and a 35mm 1.8.  I think ill enjoy these two much better, it will be lighter, sharper, and can handle low light even better.  Anyway just thought i would provide an update.  It was a great lens, but in the end just wasn't for me

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow