Zoom: Field of view changes more rapidly at the short end as you zoom in?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wetsignal
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Zoom: Field of view changes more rapidly at the short end as you zoom in?
9 months ago

Just bought a 6D with 24-105mm f4 L zoom, very happy with it. However, I am thinking of switching to all prime lenses as my work shifts away from fine art to more portraits. As I struggle with the cost and the desire to get the initial grouping of focal lengths (3, maybe 4 lenses to start) somewhat right for my style, I was puzzled by the effect of the change in focal length zooming in from 24-50mm being much more pronounced than going out from 105-70mm (I was trying to get an idea of which additional lenses to buy using my zoom). I've been shooting for MANY years and although maybe I've noticed it, I never really thought about it.

So, the question is: Am I correct in that the increase or decrease of field of view is not linear along the procession of focal lengths? Is it illusory? This matters to me because I already have the 100mm f2 and the 50mm f1.4 and was trying to decide if the 100mm (which I bought as an in between lens for indoor/outdoor portraits) was a mistake and will be consistently too long for indoor spaces (exchange for the 85mm f1.8?) and/or if it would be wise to add a 35mm f2 for environmental portraits and tight spaces. To my eye using my zoom, there would be a pretty big (field of view) difference between 35mm and 50mm whereas trading the 100mm for the 85mm would not result in a significant difference due to the observed effect. Does this hold water?

My master plan was to get the (new) Canon 35mm f2, keep the 50 and the 100 for now and then when I have the funds sell the 100 and buy an 85 and a 135L (lots of my work is outdoors so the 135 would be utilized). Thanks and I apologize if this has already been answered but in any case I couldn't get to a satisfactory result using any of the search queries I tried.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow