Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BrokenPine
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Should I turn Image Stabilization off?
5 months ago

Hey guys! I recently read in the comment section of a video that was produced on the a99 that the producer decided to turn off the image stabilization in the a99 during the shoot because, well, here: "We didn't use IS (image stabilization) in camera at all. When we experimented with the A99 stabilizer it seemed to work well, but with a significant crop to the image that is not reversible. This is sort of the inverse of the problem with slomo in the sense that post stabilized images are much easier to control and generally better quality than in camera stabilization. We ended up stabilizing 5-6 shots in post."

I film a lot with the a99 and a77. Should I turn the IS off because of what he said? I always did wonder why when I switched from M (manual picture mode) to video mode the image was always more "zoomed in." I guess this explains it? If this is true, would it be wise to turn it off in both of these cameras to get the full image and then just stabilize them in post, like with After Effects?

Here's a link to the video that was shot on the a99. Pretty awesome shots if I might add. Fantastic camera: https://vimeo.com/52031763

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow