Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,174Gear list
Like?
Picked up the 23 f1.4 today
6 months ago

Weather was beautiful so headed out into the countryside on the way home for a play. nothing unusual in use.

On arriving home, downloaded the images onto the pc and had a run through.

My findings, if you are going to shoot at f8 then( IMHO) the 18mm lens will do the job almost as well (although slightly wider) but start to open that aperture up and that sorts out the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

So, studying the images in more detail after a short snooze( I`m getting too old for all this excitement) it slowly became clearer that the quality of the images versus the 14 and 35 was different , not by huge amounts as those other lenses are very good to start with but it is definitely an improvement. I had two cameras with me and swapped lenses and cameras around so could easily compare.

Now, open that 23 up to almost wide open and select the type of image that you would normally with a shallow DOF and those images from the 23 slap you around the face, partly because the main image stands out from the background and partly because at very wide apertures the 23 is just about the same as when stopped down and that`s seems to be the magic of this lens. There is a strong case for 1/8000th which alas i don`t have on the XE1 and Xpro and I certainly wouldn`t be prepared to put an Nd filter in front of those superb optics. (wonder how others fair with the ND filters)

Dare I mention that this lens seems far superior to my Contax 21 2.8 on FF and dare I also mention that with a bit of post work and the right subject I was getting the same feeling as when I shot with my 50f2 M sumi and 35 M lenses way back and that must be good.

I don`t think that there is a sub par lens in the Fuji line up but without further testing this looks to be the best and most flexible from those I own.

I notice that on the Fuji web site there doesn`t seem to be a firmware upgrade for this lens unless I missed it.

I fitted a new filter on before using the lens ( a 62mm Kenko Zeta) nice filter BTW

Don`t try one or else (BTW in the UK there is still a £100 cash back.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow